…Protein is an essential nutrient... But too much protein is associated with several diseases.
It is more important to eat a varied diet than to isolate and focus on any one nutrient. As long as calorie intake is adequate, it can be easy for vegan diets to meet protein recommendations… roughly 48-60 grams/day…Even meat eaters ought to vary their protein sources, and try some of these:
1. Vegetables - the proper foundation for all diets.
• 1 avocado - 10 grams
• 1 cup broccoli - 5 grams
• 1 cup spinach - 5 grams
• 2 cups cooked kale - 5 grams
• 1 cup boiled peas - 9 grams
• 1 cup cooked sweet potato - 5 grams
2. Legumes, also vegetables, get their own mention. Specifically lentils and beans, the foundation of many diets for centuries.
• 1 cup soybeans - 28 grams (1 cup tofu - 22 grams, 1 cup tempeh - 30 grams)
• 1 cup lentils - 18 grams
• 1 cup refried beans - 15.5 grams
• 1 cup garbanzo beans (and hummus) - 14.5 grams
• 1 cup pinto, kidney, black beans - 13-15 grams
• 1 oz peanuts - 6.5 grams
3. Nuts and seeds - a staple in most vegetarian and vegan diets.
• 1 oz. cashews - 4.4 grams
• 1 oz. sesame seeds 6.5 grams, 3 tablespoons of tahini - 8 grams
• 1/4 cup (2 oz.) walnuts - 5 grams
• 1 oz. pistachios - 5.8 grams
• 2 tbsp almonds - 4 grams
• Nut butters - peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter - 2 tablespoons has about 8 grams of protein
4. Non-dairy milk - Soy, almond, ancient grain. 1 cup gets you 7-9 grams of protein.
5. Grains - Ancient grains, sprouted grains, multi-grains - a major part of the diet.
• Quinoa is versatile and delicious. 1 cup - 9 grams.
• Amaranth, bulgur, brown rice, wheat germ, oat bran are other grains with a high protein content.
• Seitan, or flavored wheat gluten, has about 52 grams per cup, but it may not be a good idea to eat a lot of it.
• Oatmeal - 1 cup = 6 grams.
• Sprouted grain bread products - buns, tortillas, bread. Pack a sandwich or a wrap and you'll get 7-10 grams from the bread alone.
6. Convenience foods: There are vegan protein powders and bars to fill in the gaps on the go. Hemp - 30 grams of hemp powder in your smoothie gives you 11 grams of protein.
7. Supplements - spirulina and chlorella are used often by vegetarians and vegans for their rich nutrient content, and protein content.
…. eating vegan can be enjoyable and rewarding. As with any diet, it is possible to be an unhealthy vegan. The best diets, vegan and otherwise, center around raw, fresh, organic vegetables…
Please speak to a health care professional regarding what is best for you, this article is not intended as a diagnosis for any condition, or to take the place professional medical care.The information provided is for informational purposes only, you are responsible to use your own discretion. We wish you the best of health.
Originally found here
Picture originally found here